Organizational structure is important part of any organization because it helps you to understand the communication and reporting flow (who reports to whom) of the people in the organization. Functional organizational structure is one of the traditional structures that based on the different common functions of the organization including manufacturing, engineering, marketing, human resources and secretarial. Functional organizational structure based on the units and departments of the organization that are controlled by the people of top management. Different divisional and product structures are distinguished in units according to the team leaders and geographical region. Functional organizational structure is based on the concept of high specialization and high control to increase the efficiency of your organization.
History of Functional Organization Structure
Functional organization structure has ancestry from early 20th century after the emergence of industrial age in order to increase the efficiency of management as efficiency is the main concern of each organization. At that time, organizations were designed with few managers at the top to lead several people in the bottom for the performance of tasks in organized way. Functional organization structure defined everything in details and feature top to down authority control. Control was maintained by establishing standard procedures.
Leadership Requirements under Functional Organization Structure
This structure based on the top to down authority control therefore leaders requires in-depth knowledge and experience in their area of specialization. This type of structure is used in those organizations where unit leaders have outstanding command on their given field. Leaders of each unit are required to be mentor of young staff members. Competency in their field and proper management skills are required for the success of functional organization structure.
Here is a preview of this free Organogram Template created using MS Word 2013,
Benefits of Functional Organizational Structure
Functional organization structure provides clear lines of command and specialized individuals in each department play important role in the growth and expansion of organization. This type of infrastructure promotes career advancements by clearly defining career paths, aptitude, talent and knowledge. It can make your work more enjoyable as you are working with a group of people with different knowledge level.
Weaknesses of Functional Organization Structure
Each unit of the organization focus on its own area of specialty therefore there can be lack of broad view of company. This structure features poor communication across different groups of people and slow response can put negative affects on the environment. Decision making authority of different units can be weaken as compare to the top level of management.
Effectiveness of Functional Organization Structure
Functional organization structure works best in the stable organization because in the presence of functional organization you cannot make rapid changes in the strategy. It is best for smaller or medium organizations that deal with few types of products and services.
Here is download link for this Organogram Template,
Related Word Templates
- Fishbone Template Making a Fishbone Diagram requires 4 main actions. In these actions, “bones” are accustomed to point out the outcome of the factors (the mass of the influence is calculated in the scale of the bones that are sketched). For example, the big bones close to the skull of the fish symbolize a big influence, although modest bones away from the top contain a scaled-down influence. The diagram […]
- Process Flow Chart Template
A process flow chart is a symbolic or graphical representation of the steps or elements included in a process so that the participants can understand the process in a better way. Each step in process flow chart is represented with a different kind of symbol and it also includes a short description of each of the step. This allows the project managers and team members to […]
- Swim Lane Flowchart Template
A swim lane flow chart which is also known as swim lane diagram or cross functional diagram is a commonly used process or technique in companies and organizations to display complex information or systems in simple terms. This technique uses lanes for displaying information and connecting them with each other so that’s why it is called a swim lane flow chart. There are […]
- Asnoff Matrix Diagram Asnoff Matrix is something that helps people and businesses in a better way at the same time. As a business owner, if you want to research or review the development of new products, merger in markets or enhancing the quality of your operations, Asnoff Matrix is here to help you out and with this tool, you can make better and more accurate decision. On the other hand, as an individual, […]
- Decision Tree Diagrams A decision tree diagram is a graphical representation of all the facts, scenarios and results as well as the choices that one has. This is a tree shaped representation that has branches and each branch represents a separate scenario along with the results and possible outcomes in the future. This not only gives more accurate figures about each choice in the decision making process but […]
- User Manual Template
User manual also known as user’s guide is a technical communication document designed to provide assistance to people about particular system. User manuals are found with almost all electronic devices to help new user about the use of device. It is important part of your product marketing therefore it is necessary to write it carefully without any confusion. You have to use […]
- PEST Analysis Diagram PEST is a word with for alphabets and in this word; each alphabet stands for a unique and important market research tool. This includes political, economic, social and technological. As a business owner, you can understand that it is really important to research before you invest your money in any project. To do so, whenever a company wants to start a new product or make big changes to […]
- Value Chain Analysis Diagram Value chain analysis diagram is a corporate tool or technique that makes sure that you have your eye on all the elements in the market that matters for you and your company. This also includes the products or services that you offer to your customers. In simple words, this is a tool that provides the ways or points where improvements are vital to make inside your company either it’s a […]
- Risk Management Plan Template
Creating a risk management plan is something of high importance when undertaking a new project either at business level or even at government level. However, many people take it to be of less significance and think that that any issues arising could be dealt with later easily. Something which is true is that issues and problems can arise in any project at any time. If there […]
- Fax Cover Sheet Template //
Fax is a powerful tool to communicate with your clients, business partner, friends, relatives and other persons, immediately and less costly with no fear of being deleted by pressing a button. Use of fax officially facilitates a rapid communication and enhances the services from both sides and increases revenues ultimately.
Here is a good quality Fax Cover Sheet Template […]