Organizational structure is important part of any organization because it helps you to understand the communication and reporting flow (who reports to whom) of the people in the organization. Functional organizational structure is one of the traditional structures that based on the different common functions of the organization including manufacturing, engineering, marketing, human resources and secretarial. Functional organizational structure based on the units and departments of the organization that are controlled by the people of top management. Different divisional and product structures are distinguished in units according to the team leaders and geographical region. Functional organizational structure is based on the concept of high specialization and high control to increase the efficiency of your organization.
History of Functional Organization Structure
Functional organization structure has ancestry from early 20th century after the emergence of industrial age in order to increase the efficiency of management as efficiency is the main concern of each organization. At that time, organizations were designed with few managers at the top to lead several people in the bottom for the performance of tasks in organized way. Functional organization structure defined everything in details and feature top to down authority control. Control was maintained by establishing standard procedures.
Leadership Requirements under Functional Organization Structure
This structure based on the top to down authority control therefore leaders requires in-depth knowledge and experience in their area of specialization. This type of structure is used in those organizations where unit leaders have outstanding command on their given field. Leaders of each unit are required to be mentor of young staff members. Competency in their field and proper management skills are required for the success of functional organization structure.
Here is a preview of this free Organogram Template created using MS Word 2013,
Benefits of Functional Organizational Structure
Functional organization structure provides clear lines of command and specialized individuals in each department play important role in the growth and expansion of organization. This type of infrastructure promotes career advancements by clearly defining career paths, aptitude, talent and knowledge. It can make your work more enjoyable as you are working with a group of people with different knowledge level.
Weaknesses of Functional Organization Structure
Each unit of the organization focus on its own area of specialty therefore there can be lack of broad view of company. This structure features poor communication across different groups of people and slow response can put negative affects on the environment. Decision making authority of different units can be weaken as compare to the top level of management.
Effectiveness of Functional Organization Structure
Functional organization structure works best in the stable organization because in the presence of functional organization you cannot make rapid changes in the strategy. It is best for smaller or medium organizations that deal with few types of products and services.
Here is download link for this Organogram Template,
Related Word Templates
- Fishbone Template Making a Fishbone Diagram requires 4 main actions. In these actions, “bones” are accustomed to point out the outcome of the factors (the mass of the influence is calculated in the scale of the bones that are sketched). For example, the big bones close to the skull of the fish symbolize a big influence, although modest bones away from the top contain a scaled-down influence. The diagram […]
- Timeline Diagram Template When it comes to project management, time, quality and cost are the only three elements that companies and organizations concentrate the most on. Quality of a project is hard to estimate before seeing the final project but it is possible to estimate the costs and time frame for completing the project. To make sure that time is in favor for the project team members, the important events […]
- Risk Diagram Template Risk management for companies and businesses is as important as breathing for the living beings. It is not possible for a company to run or make good progress without evaluating the possible risks with the projects and under development products or customized services. This process of evaluating the risks and managing them before it’s too late is also known as risk diagrams. This is […]
- Porter’s Five Force Diagram Template Porter’s five force diagram is a simple but very important tool for analyzing the market for new and existing companies. If you want to research in the market to find out how much power your company has over the suppliers, buyers and competitors, this technique is here to help you out.
Importance of Porter’s Five Force Diagram:
At this point of this diagram or […]
- UML Sequence Diagram Template UML stands for Unified Modeling Language and sequence diagram is a very common and important technique for representing data and research in this field. In between the components or elements of a system, sequence diagrams are used to present or show the relationship or link for the flow of events or messages. In computer networking, UML sequence diagrams are frequently used because […]
- Network Diagram Template A network diagram is also known as project network diagram or flow chart in simple words and this is one of the many graphical representations that companies use these days. Usually, a network diagram is referred only to the computer networking and most people know this diagram in related to the computer based networking but this can be used in both companies for general presentations […]
- Storyboard Diagram Template A storyboard is kind of a presentation or technique of illustrating the process of a project or new product development on paper work rather than creating a prototype and then evaluating the value and quality of the product.
Importance and benefits of Storyboard Diagrams:
If you have any knowledge of business and how companies work with projects and development of new products, […]
- Gantt Chart Template When it comes to project management, the process is tougher and complex as compared to the other areas and fields of a business. If we ask some of the top project managers in the world, we will find out that there are only two most important things or elements of a project that the manager keeps track of including; complete the project within budget and finish it on time.
- Cause and Effect Chart (Fishbone) Template Cause and effect chart which is also known as the fishbone diagram or the Ikishawa diagram is a commonly used technique in businesses through which, business owners get help to find out not only the problems but with this chart, they can also identify the root causes behind each problem.
This technique or business chart was invented by a Japanese quality control manager and thus […]
- Process Flow Chart Template
A process flow chart is a symbolic or graphical representation of the steps or elements included in a process so that the participants can understand the process in a better way. Each step in process flow chart is represented with a different kind of symbol and it also includes a short description of each of the step. This allows the project managers and team members to […]