Business progresses on various factors and each one of these factors is of pivotal importance in the flourishing of the business. Honest, accuracy, positivity, time management and punctuality are some of the characteristics of a successful business man but there are other certain technical characteristics that one should develop to be successful in this competitive field and being able to make certain type of statements is one of these characteristics.
Positive and normative statements are two types of statement that explain ones vision about the business but they do not define your behavior or interests though. Positive statement is objective and is based upon actual facts while the normative statement is subjective and value based. Positive economic statements do not have to be true but they must be able to be tested and proved and disproved, on the other hand normative economic statements are opinion based so naturally they can neither be approved nor disproved. We should note that there is no way of testing the habitual truthfulness of normative economic statements, even if we disagree with it, we have no sure way of proving to someone who believes that the statement that he or she is wrong by mere appeal to facts. Normative statements are differentiated by the presence of modal verbs “should”, “would” or “could”. Normative statements are the basis of normative economics.
Let’s discuss both the positive and normative statements with the help of examples.
“The government should raise the price of milk to £6 per gallon to raise the living standards of farm families.” Now as we see this statement contains a “should” it declares that it might be a normative statement, and perhaps it is a normative if we try to understand it and we see we cannot match it up to any actual facts and it is someone’s opinion. Now, let’s change this statement a little bit, “The government raised the price of milk to £6 per gallon to help raise the standard of living of farm families.” Now this statement is turned into a positive statement that can actually be tested of its authenticity by matching up the records from the public records and by checking on the farms and their residents.
Disagreements over public policies typically revolve around normative economic statements, and the disagreements persist because neither side can prove that it is correct or that its opponent is incorrect. A clear understanding of the difference between positive and normative economics should lead to better policy making, if policies are made based on facts (positive economics), not opinions (normative economics). Nonetheless, numerous policies on issues ranging from international trade to welfare are at least partially based on normative economics.
To claim the right of disagreement to the normative statement one can either disagree with the validity of the positive information used to reach a valued judgment or there always is a way to make an argument about the merits of normative conclusion itself. But this makes the whole debate obscure, since there is no right and wrong when it comes to the normative statements.
Here is preview of a Free Printable Normative Statement Template created using MS Word,
Here is download link for this free Normative Statement Template,
Related Word Templates
- Bi-conditional Statement Template A Bi-conditional statement is a mathematical and logical construct according to which, one statement is true if and only if another statement is true. These kinds of statements are used in the geometric and formal logic proofs. The truth and false of the statements is based on the truth and false of both statements. If the both statements are true, the table will be true, and if the […]
- Credit Card Statement Template With the modernization of business and banking techniques mankind was introduced with a new way of payment without carrying cash with you all time instead the idea was that anyone can carry a card with a person’s business details attached with it, making him/her able to business, or go shopping with one less thing to worry about. With ease there come some technical difficulties, I […]
- Capability Statement Template A statement that defines the capabilities, skills, achievements and accomplishments of a company is usually known as capability statement. This is an official document presented by the company that wants other companies or businesses to do business with it.
Elements of a Capability Statement:
Description of the products and services a company is […]
- Brand Positioning Statement Template In the modern age of technology, every man tries to look different than others and likes to call himself a unique and special person. The one special thing to look like this is to have a brand name. In line with the United States Promoting Affiliation, a brand can be “a name, term, design, symbolic representation, or any element which determines one dealer great. It is type of the […]
- Closing Statement Template Closing statement can be defined in many ways i.e. the conclusion at the end of a case in court, the final financial statement at the end of each quarter or the final documents that are presented to both parties in case of a real estate purchase or selling. Closing statement is used in so many areas and fields that it’s not possible to explain it related to one field and the writer […]
- Artist Statement Template An artist statement is a short piece of writing drafted with a creative mind behind it to complement a particular painting(s). The artist statement should be written carefully, because it is an important selling tool and helps you to promote and explain your work to people interested in your paintings; they can be potential buyers, stewards of exhibition, fellow artists, or casual […]
- Copyright Statement Template This is quite obvious from the title that it’s a statement that informs others not to copy a material or a product as the producer or the owner has registered it to his name.
It is very much possible that when a person invents or writes something remarkable or unique, there grows a competition in the market making others to do the same or copy the style. This […]
- Income Statement Template An income statement also referred to as the profit or loss statement, statement of financial performance or the statement of operations. Income statement is one of the three main financial statements of a company or business namely income statement, balance sheet and cash flow statement. As company works under the board of governors or investors the income statement is the record of […]
- Financial Statement Template A Financial Statement is designed to portray a clear picture of the financial health of the company. The financial reports are prepared on monthly, quarterly and annual basis. The financial reports are of different types, including income statement, balance sheet and cash flow statement. It is a professional way to report your income sources and total income spent. It is an appropriate […]
- Opening Statement Template In any judicial trial or court hearing, the first step to road towards the proceedings of the case is put forward by the lawyer known by the term opening statement. Here all the base facts and events which have occurred are presented in front of the court; the jurors and the judge himself / herself watches over this statement to proceed with the case. Even though the opening statement […]