A Bi-conditional statement is a mathematical and logical construct according to which, one statement is true if and only if another statement is true. These kinds of statements are used in the geometric and formal logic proofs. The truth and false of the statements is based on the truth and false of both statements. If the both statements are true, the table will be true, and if the statement is false, the table will also be false. De Morgan’s law is used to negate the bi-conditional statement that states the connection of logical operators is made by their negatives. The bi-conditional statement can be demonstrated through a common way by using its equivalence to the conjunction of the two converses. Both are demonstrated separately.
Rules of Inference
The biconditional has rules of inference just like all connectives in the first-order logic. It has governed uses as formal proofs:
Introduction of Bi-conditional
The Bi-conditional statement is inferred in a case that if Z follows from X, and X follows from Z, then X if and only if Z.
For example, from the statements “If I am eating, then I am hungry” and if I am hungry, then I am eating”, it can be inferred that “I am eating if and only if I am hungry” and “if I am hungry, then I am eating” or, equally inferable, “I am eating if and only if I am hungry”.
Z → XX → Z∴ X ↔ Z Z → XX → Z∴ Z ↔ X
Biconditional elimination makes it easy to infer the conditional from the biconditional: If (X ↔ Z), then the infer direction of the biconditional is (X → Z) and (Z → X). For instance, if it is true that “I am eating if and only if I am hungry” then it is also true that “if I am hungry, then I am eating”. Formally:
(X ↔ Z)∴ (X → Z)
(X ↔ Z)∴ (Z → X)
Truth Tables for Bi-conditional
The truth or falsity statement is used as the representation statement in the truth tables. Truth table enables you to understand the combination and the truth and falsity of each statement. Truth table has a column for each statement to know about the false and truth of each compound statement:
- If the X is true and Z is true, then the both biconditional statements are true.
- If the X is true and Z is false, then the both biconditional statements are false.
- If X is false and Z is true, then the binconditional statements are false.
- If the X is false and Z is also false, the biconditional statements are true.
When a conditional statement and its converse are true, it can be written a bi-conditional statement. The conditional statement has one way arrow (→) and the bi-conditional statement has two way arrows (↔). If the both bi-conditional statements have same values, the compound statement will be true, otherwise it will be false.
Here is preview of a Free Sample Bi-conditional Statement Template created using MS Word,
Here is download link for this Bi-conditional Statement Template,
Related Word Templates
- Closing Statement Template Closing statement can be defined in many ways i.e. the conclusion at the end of a case in court, the final financial statement at the end of each quarter or the final documents that are presented to both parties in case of a real estate purchase or selling. Closing statement is used in so many areas and fields that it’s not possible to explain it related to one field and the writer […]
- Normative Statement Template Business progresses on various factors and each one of these factors is of pivotal importance in the flourishing of the business. Honest, accuracy, positivity, time management and punctuality are some of the characteristics of a successful business man but there are other certain technical characteristics that one should develop to be successful in this competitive field and being able […]
- Brand Positioning Statement Template In the modern age of technology, every man tries to look different than others and likes to call himself a unique and special person. The one special thing to look like this is to have a brand name. In line with the United States Promoting Affiliation, a brand can be “a name, term, design, symbolic representation, or any element which determines one dealer great. It is type of the […]
- Credit Card Statement Template With the modernization of business and banking techniques mankind was introduced with a new way of payment without carrying cash with you all time instead the idea was that anyone can carry a card with a person’s business details attached with it, making him/her able to business, or go shopping with one less thing to worry about. With ease there come some technical difficulties, I […]
- Capability Statement Template A statement that defines the capabilities, skills, achievements and accomplishments of a company is usually known as capability statement. This is an official document presented by the company that wants other companies or businesses to do business with it.
Elements of a Capability Statement:
Description of the products and services a company is […]
- Financial Statement Template A Financial Statement is designed to portray a clear picture of the financial health of the company. The financial reports are prepared on monthly, quarterly and annual basis. The financial reports are of different types, including income statement, balance sheet and cash flow statement. It is a professional way to report your income sources and total income spent. It is an appropriate […]
- Opening Statement Template In any judicial trial or court hearing, the first step to road towards the proceedings of the case is put forward by the lawyer known by the term opening statement. Here all the base facts and events which have occurred are presented in front of the court; the jurors and the judge himself / herself watches over this statement to proceed with the case. Even though the opening statement […]
- Copyright Statement Template This is quite obvious from the title that it’s a statement that informs others not to copy a material or a product as the producer or the owner has registered it to his name.
It is very much possible that when a person invents or writes something remarkable or unique, there grows a competition in the market making others to do the same or copy the style. This […]
- Income Statement Template An income statement also referred to as the profit or loss statement, statement of financial performance or the statement of operations. Income statement is one of the three main financial statements of a company or business namely income statement, balance sheet and cash flow statement. As company works under the board of governors or investors the income statement is the record of […]
- Statement of Work Template A work statement, or SOW, is the scripture for your work and task. Your SOW is your important resource whether it's getting used to immediate work with a merchant or company, or it's getting used to lead the project internally, your SOW should have an outline of your entire job which is anticipated. The outline doesn't have to be at the fine detail degree, certainly for big tasks […]