In any judicial trial or court hearing, the first step to road towards the proceedings of the case is put forward by the lawyer known by the term opening statement. Here all the base facts and events which have occurred are presented in front of the court; the jurors and the judge himself / herself watches over this statement to proceed with the case. Even though the opening statement has to present all the relevant details of the case, however in some cases the jury might know a little about the case already. In such scenario, judge strictly advises the jury to put their previous knowledge of the case and solely rely on the opening statement and the proofs which might be presented at a later point in the hearing.
Opening statements are really important since nuts and bolts of the case are enclosed within and have to be presented with extreme care since one small statement mistake can lead a case from this side of the river to the other. According to majority of lawyers, an opening statement is considered the most crucial and sensitive phase of any case for lawyers of both sides; the favoring and the opposing.
On a broader perspective, opening statements have a number of purposes for being made, one of which is already described above as being the part to inform the court, jury and judges about the happenings of a specific case. This is like a preview of a movie or a book, where the audience is told what this case is all about and what are the problems the court might be looking forward to be solved and what might be the possible scenarios which can occur during the hearings of this case. This also allows the jury and the judge(s) to correlate proofs and statements of people later on with the problem, since they will have the knowledge of the case situation already in their view (presented by opening statement).
There are a few things which are to be noted while preparing an opening statement to present in the court. First of all, one has to devote enough time to this and do enough homework prior to show up in the court for presenting the opening statement. Opening statement has to be very much based on all the facts and no assumptions are to be included in this document.
The major portions of an opening statement are commonly known by the terms as: Introduction, Parties Involved (where there can be individuals or group of people; whichever applicable should be mentioned accordingly), The Scene, Issue, The Events that happened, Claims (such as being guilty or not, liable of something or not etc.) and the physical conditions including the time of an event, complete date and even weather in some cases is also the requirement. Other important parts of an opening statement are the main body where everything is described in detail and finally the conclusion where the expectation from the court or the claim from the lawyer is mentioned regarding the case.
Here is preview of a Free Sample Opening Statement Template created using MS Word,
Here is download link for this Opening Statement Template,
Related Word Templates
- Copyright Statement Template This is quite obvious from the title that it’s a statement that informs others not to copy a material or a product as the producer or the owner has registered it to his name.
It is very much possible that when a person invents or writes something remarkable or unique, there grows a competition in the market making others to do the same or copy the style. This […]
- Financial Statement Template A Financial Statement is designed to portray a clear picture of the financial health of the company. The financial reports are prepared on monthly, quarterly and annual basis. The financial reports are of different types, including income statement, balance sheet and cash flow statement. It is a professional way to report your income sources and total income spent. It is an appropriate […]
- Income Statement Template An income statement also referred to as the profit or loss statement, statement of financial performance or the statement of operations. Income statement is one of the three main financial statements of a company or business namely income statement, balance sheet and cash flow statement. As company works under the board of governors or investors the income statement is the record of […]
- Closing Statement Template Closing statement can be defined in many ways i.e. the conclusion at the end of a case in court, the final financial statement at the end of each quarter or the final documents that are presented to both parties in case of a real estate purchase or selling. Closing statement is used in so many areas and fields that it’s not possible to explain it related to one field and the writer […]
- Artist Statement Template An artist statement is a short piece of writing drafted with a creative mind behind it to complement a particular painting(s). The artist statement should be written carefully, because it is an important selling tool and helps you to promote and explain your work to people interested in your paintings; they can be potential buyers, stewards of exhibition, fellow artists, or casual […]
- Bi-conditional Statement Template A Bi-conditional statement is a mathematical and logical construct according to which, one statement is true if and only if another statement is true. These kinds of statements are used in the geometric and formal logic proofs. The truth and false of the statements is based on the truth and false of both statements. If the both statements are true, the table will be true, and if the […]
- Capability Statement Template A statement that defines the capabilities, skills, achievements and accomplishments of a company is usually known as capability statement. This is an official document presented by the company that wants other companies or businesses to do business with it.
Elements of a Capability Statement:
Description of the products and services a company is […]
- Brand Positioning Statement Template In the modern age of technology, every man tries to look different than others and likes to call himself a unique and special person. The one special thing to look like this is to have a brand name. In line with the United States Promoting Affiliation, a brand can be “a name, term, design, symbolic representation, or any element which determines one dealer great. It is type of the […]
- Normative Statement Template Business progresses on various factors and each one of these factors is of pivotal importance in the flourishing of the business. Honest, accuracy, positivity, time management and punctuality are some of the characteristics of a successful business man but there are other certain technical characteristics that one should develop to be successful in this competitive field and being able […]
- Credit Card Statement Template With the modernization of business and banking techniques mankind was introduced with a new way of payment without carrying cash with you all time instead the idea was that anyone can carry a card with a person’s business details attached with it, making him/her able to business, or go shopping with one less thing to worry about. With ease there come some technical difficulties, I […]