Cause and effect chart which is also known as the fishbone diagram or the Ikishawa diagram is a commonly used technique in businesses through which, business owners get help to find out not only the problems but with this chart, they can also identify the root causes behind each problem.
This technique or business chart was invented by a Japanese quality control manager and thus it’s named after him as Ikishawa diagram but as this is a visual presentation of the facts, problems and after impacts, the diagram has a form of a fish and that’s why it’s also known as fishbone diagram too. This technique was originally invented in order to make the production team and its members understand the less important solution to bigger problems. This way also invented in order to save time for the companies by defining the problems in a better way so that it’s easier for the owners to find a broader and long term solution.
Importance of Cause and Effect Chart:
As a business owner, you know that when you or your business encounters a problem, it is just a matter of time that you can find a solution to that problem but if you think outside the box, you will understand that the solution isn’t the best idea for the problem if it doesn’t remove the root causes behind the problem. With cause and effect chart or the fishbone diagram, you find the actual causes behind each problem and this not only gives you enough to work in order to eliminate the problem from the roots but also gives you an idea about where each solution will lead in the future.
Application of Cause and Effect Chart:
We have explained the invention and purpose of this chart above and thus you can easily understand that this technique is widely used for business purposes. Companies and organizations use this technique in order to find the problems in the business along with having inside understanding about the problem so that it is easy for them to understand and find the real causes of each problem at grass root level.
It is easy for managers and supervisors to eliminate a problem for a short period of time but fishbone diagram helps those who want long term solutions to their problems which is only possible when you find out the real causes behind the problem. This way you can eliminate the causes or the roots of the problem for a long time.
In a fishbone diagram, the head is actually the potential problem which needs to be solved where the backbone is just a straight line that attaches each problem or side bone to the backbone which leads them to the key problem.
In a fishbone diagram, you are required to have at least 4 causes of a problem because with less than 2 problems on each side of the line, you can’t form a fishbone and thus the key element gets missed.
Here is preview of a Free Sample Cause and Effect Chart (Fishbone) Template created using MS Word,
Here is download link for this Cause and Effect Chart (Fishbone) Template,
Download Cause and Effect Chart (Fishbone) Template
Related Word Templates
- Fishbone Template Making a Fishbone Diagram requires 4 main actions. In these actions, “bones” are accustomed to point out the outcome of the factors (the mass of the influence is calculated in the scale of the bones that are sketched). For example, the big bones close to the skull of the fish symbolize a big influence, although modest bones away from the top contain a scaled-down influence. The diagram […]
- Pareto Chart Template A Pareto chart is a special kind of graphical presentation. We can also call it a hybrid graph in which bars and lines are used simultaneously. This not only gives a broader perspective on the graph for the viewers but also explains the elements and factors in a better way. This is a chart in which the individual values are shown in the bard in descending order and cumulative total is […]
- Pyramid Chart Sample A Pyramid Chart is a graphical representation of the facts, figures and research material in form of a pyramid or a triangle. Within this triangle, there are different sections which divide the entire diagram into different parts. Each part indicates towards something different. You know that the width of each section changes along with the triangle and usually the width aren’t […]
- Root Cause Analysis Diagram Template Root cause analysis diagram which is also known as fishbone diagram, Ishikawa diagram or cause and effect diagram is a graphical representation of all the root causes behind a problem in a business. Companies and organizations use this diagram in order to find out the real causes behind a problem and to eliminate the problem for long terms. When there is a problem in a business, it is […]
- Value Chain Analysis Diagram Value chain analysis diagram is a corporate tool or technique that makes sure that you have your eye on all the elements in the market that matters for you and your company. This also includes the products or services that you offer to your customers. In simple words, this is a tool that provides the ways or points where improvements are vital to make inside your company either it’s a […]
- PERT Chart Template PERT which stands for Program Evaluation Review Technique is a business or organizational tool that is used for managing the projects and steps included in order to complete the project. There are many tools and steps included in a PERT chart but most importantly; it includes scheduling, coordinating and organizing the different steps of a project. In simple words, a PERT chart is a […]
- Mind Map Diagram Template Mind mapping is a common and simple technique that is used in businesses and corporations on regular basis. This is a technique in which you describe your story or whatever is on your mind in form of diagrams and symbols instead of just words and sentences. The thing is that when you have to run a big company, you always look ways and options to save time. The mind map diagram is […]
- Affinity Diagram Template Affinity diagram, which is also known as KJ method is a commonly used technique for brainstorming sessions in companies and organizations. This technique was invented back in 1960 by a businessman Kawakita Jiro that explains why it is also referred to as KJ method. The key purpose of affinity diagram is to generate, coordinate and organize the different thoughts and decisions from […]
- Swim Lane Flowchart Template A swim lane flow chart which is also known as swim lane diagram or cross functional diagram is a commonly used process or technique in companies and organizations to display complex information or systems in simple terms. This technique uses lanes for displaying information and connecting them with each other so that’s why it is called a swim lane flow chart. There are individual lanes […]
- Timeline Diagram Template When it comes to project management, time, quality and cost are the only three elements that companies and organizations concentrate the most on. Quality of a project is hard to estimate before seeing the final project but it is possible to estimate the costs and time frame for completing the project. To make sure that time is in favor for the project team members, the important events […]